Despite the warmer weather, I am still cold when the sun goes down. I love my warm clothing and my absolute favorites to stay warm at home is a knit socks and an oversized sweater. What's yours?
Saturday, January 19, 2019
It's a middle of calendar winter. We are lucky to live in a warm climate but I remember those times when you just want to crawl under the blanket with a good book to read and a cup of tea.
Monday, November 26, 2018
Saturday, November 24, 2018
There is nothing like a good pair of socks in winter. The chunkier ones are perfect to wear around home or garden and the finer socks are perfect for everyday wear in your shoes.
We have lots of ready-to-purchase knitted yoga, bed socks and knee-high socks at our shop on etsy ( socksandmittens ). If you don't see your size or desired color, we will be glad to make a custom pair for you. The price on custom orders will depend on chosen type of yarn and size of the finished product. The regular order completion time is 3 to 4 days but it might take longer November through December due to the high volume of custom orders.
* If you'd like us to knit you a pair of custom size bed socks for you, we will need 3 of your measurements, the length of the foot and the circumference of the foot and ankle.
1. To measure the total length of your foot: place a yard stick/ tape measure on the floor. Position the back of the heel at the zero mark on the stick/tape, then measure to the longest toe.
2. For the foot measurement: step on a piece of string, wrap it around your widest foot's part and then lay it on a measuring stick to find out the circumference.
3. For the ankle measurement, wrap a string around your ankles where the joints are ( where the bone sticks out). Lay the string on a measuring stick to find out the circumference.
* If you'd like us to make you a below-the-knee socks, we will need 2 more measurements in the addition to 3 above:
4. Measure the distance from your ankle to your knee (above the knee cap for thigh high leg warmers, or at the narrowest point just below the knee cap for knee high)
5. Measure the circumference of your calf at it's widest point
* The custom yoga socks are standard in calf length so all we need to know is your shoe size.
Ready to order? Let us know your numbers and we'll start working on your new socks as soon as possible.
To visit socksandmittens click here
Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Summer is gone and so is vacation. We had a wonderful time in Washington state this summer. The weather was cooler than in AZ and it was so nice to see all the beautiful flowers. It was a short vacation but we were able to stop by my favorite lavender farm in Sequim, shop and eat delicious foods in Leavenworth and stop by wineries and distilleries in Woodinville and Whidbey Island. Quiet a few stops for 5 days, isn't it?
So here is some fun photos from Sequim and Anacortes:
Monday, August 6, 2018
Flowers are a perfect gift for many occasions. If you'd like to make a pretty bouquet for your event yourself, here is some tips from Motley Grass floral studio* on how to make a pretty bouquet using white roses, purple lisianthus and sedum.
2. Use the large flower of your choice as a center of your future bouquet.
4. Make sure there are no leaves in the points of where the flower stems are meet.
If you made everything according to the tips above, you should get a nice round top bouquet with a cones like stems at the bottom.
Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Can you resist cute and tiny? This post is for lovers of sweet miniatures and small dolls. I'd like to introduce FancyKnittles shop today, it is full of charming crochet dolls, animals, flowers, vegetables and holidays ornaments. All of them are made by Irina, miniature crochet dolls designer. She manages to combine the creativity and high quality in a tiny shape. Visit her shop to see for yourself!
I was curious about how this all has started for Irina, so I approached her with some questions to share with my readers.
Please tell us a bit about yourself.
My name is Irina and I live in picturesque South Wales, on the border of a small town in a valley. I love the countryside, traveling and photography and I think I'm quite a romantic person.
I would like to do what I love and earn some money at the same time. I was an architect when I lived in Russia and I think this profession generally helps me to see the harmony and beauty all around me. I gave up my profession when I moved to the UK. Here I started to make small crochet dolls and a lot of cute things that make dolls lives look similar to peoples lives. I've been crocheting all my life so it was quick and easy choice. Crocheting was a hobby at the beginning and step by step it transferred into business.
What is it about making small objects that intrigues you?
I don't know exactly why I love small things. Probably it's about my personality. A lot of people love small things, collect and play with dollhouses and little fairies.
How did you get started?
I've been crocheting as long as I can remember. I love small forms and enjoy making cute tiny things that mimic a real big-scale subjects. Every doll I make needs some accessories to give her charm, unique character and tell a little story about her everyday life.
This is how I start making tiny flowers, potted plants, fruits and vegetables, tiny dolls, bears, bunnies, cats, dogs ... even umbrella and miniature Christmas trees. I love to hold them in my palms and imagine those things are real.
What are your favorite items in your shop?
I love my tiny plants and flowers but dolls will always be my favorites. Sometimes I get so busy with my orders that I don't have time to make new ones but summers are an inspirational time for me. People are busy with their daily lives, vacations and will come back soon for their Fall and Christmas shopping. So I am working on my new dolls right now and my shop's doll section comes to life again.
Have you ever had a custom order that was especially meaningful for you?
I love my customers, they help me create some great things from time to time. Last Christmas my customer wanted to order a group of Angels to give them as a gift to friends and family. What a fun order! I made nine of them, they were all different with their own personalities.
The other memorable order was four hats, one for each season, for my return customer's felted mice collection.
What are your hopes for the future of your business?
Life is always changing and you can not predict the future. I hope I will continue to create my tiny girls, boys and their fancy stuff and surprise my fans with new interesting ideas.
Visit Fancyknittles shop on Etsy to see more of Irina's creations. You can also find her on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Saturday, July 21, 2018
Roses are one of the favorite flowers to give and to receive. How to care about your bouquet? Here is tips from Motle Grass floral studio*:
1. Use lots of icy cold clean water for your bouquet.
2. Change your water daily. Cloudy water in your vase will kill your roses.
3. Re-cut the stems at a 45' angle every time you changing your water. This way your roses will feed from it.
4. Do not remove the top petals from your flowers, it will prolong their life.
5. If you used the special chemicals for your bouquet at least once, continue to do it during all life cycle. If you stop, they will fade fast.
6. Do not place roses next to a heat source or on direct sunlight and protect them from a draft.
7. White and pink roses have to be transported careful to avoid the damage to its petals. Red roses are more resistant to it and also will tolerate cold weather better.
Enjoy your flowers!
*The Motley Grass floralstudio delivers fresh flowers in Moscow, Russia region so if you'd like to send some beautiful flowers to people you care about in that region, please visit their shop to order.